You can develop a strong abstract language that is unique to you
Hi, I'm Jenny Nelson. I've been practicing and teaching abstract painting for 20+ years. Through the years, I've painted daily and experienced all the self-doubts and personal challenges that the creative process presents.
I know where artists can get stuck — unsure how to start or evolve a painting, overwhelmed by color and composition. It can feel frustrating, and isolating.
Having taught hundreds of students over the years through my live workshops, I've learned the common challenges that arise when trying to implement abstract elements into your work. As a result, I've developed a simple, sequential framework to develop your skills and build your confidence in abstract painting.
And now I've created an online course upon this framework that allows you to study whenever and wherever you want. It's called Exploring Abstraction.
"Color and shape can be so overwhelming, but Jenny teaches you to keep going and not be afraid. I learned to trust myself."
"Jenny is warm, comfortable and really eager to share. Her lessons teach you the principles of making good abstract work."
"Jenny took the fear out of a blank canvas. She has several exercies that enabled me to not feel stressed about starting with nothing."
The Course at a Glance
The Exploring Abstraction online course will give you the building blocks and tools to create dynamic abstract compositions. You will strengthen your mark-making, shape and color vocabulary by developing a language that is authentic to you.
Your work will change in ways you could not have anticipated — incorporating your present sensibilities while pushing your work to the next level.
The course is delivered in 6 modules, each released weekly, with exercises that build upon each other
- The video trainings are pre-recorded so you can access them anytime — and you own the course for life
- The exercises are simple, yet can produce expansive results
- The course was filmed in a beautiful industrial space with 4 actual students, so you'll feel as though you're in class with them, sharing the same experience
Plus, you get access to my private Facebook Group just for my students. This is a vibrant community for sharing your work and getting support in your creative journey.
Here's a peek at what we'll cover in the course:
Introduction & Supplies
- Introduction to the course
- Detailed description and demonstration of the supplies needed for the exercises
Exercise 1: Charcoal Drawing
- Discussion of abstract paintings, lines and mark making from several masters
- Demonstration and exercise in lines and mark-making creating an abstract charcoal drawing
Exercise 2: Exploring Collage
- Discussion of shape and composition, including edges, value, texture and contrast. Using magazines and media sources to create dynamic collage.
- Demonstration and exercise in creating collage
Exercise 3: Interpreting Collage
- Demonstration of creating a warm and cool gray scale palette in both oils and acrylics
- Exercise in interpreting a collage into an abstract painting
- Critique/discussion of student work
Exercise 4: Overlapping Shapes
- Creation of a harmonious limited color palette in both oils and acrylics
- Demonstration and exercise in using 3 overlapping shapes as a starting point for creating a composition, then evolving this into a workable abstract painting
Exercise 5: Lines from Life
- Demonstration and exercise in drawing lines from real life objects as a path for creating an abstract painting with life force energy
- Evolution of this work into a workable abstract painting
- Discussion of one of Jenny's works
So, What's the Price? Just $697 $597
I believe that there is no better time to invest in yourself than right now. I also recognize that for many, it's a difficult time financially. That's why I've reduced the price by $100 — to get Exploring Abstraction into the hands of as many artists as possible.
Right now, the price is only $597. There is also a 3-pay option available to make the course even more affordable.
Furthermore, once you're enrolled, you will have unlimited access to the course. So you can go at your own pace and re-visit exercises again and again, whenever and wherever you like.
And for those of you who may feel like the course will be too overwhelming, this is for everybody with an interest in abstraction. I'll take you step-by-step through fun, exciting exercises that are designed to grow your understanding and skills in abstract painting — no matter what level or background you are coming from today.
If you ever get stuck or have a question, I'll be available. Each training video has a comments section; simply post your concern (or big breakthrough!) and I'll respond personally. I want you to succeed and take away some breakthrough moments in your work.
Try the course risk-free! I know that it sometimes takes an extra nudge to take a step on behalf of ourselves. And I also know that this course can transform your painting, as it has done for hundreds of students. But if, at anytime within 30 days of purchase, you feel that the course is simply not a good fit, just email me and request a refund — I'll take care of it right away, no questions asked.
Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions
Is the course live?
What if I'm just starting out in painting — is the course too advanced for me?
My background isn't in abstract art; can this course still help me?
What if I get stuck or have a question?
How do I access the course?
What if the course just isn't a fit for me?
Still have questions? Email me here!
Jenny Nelson is a painter and arts educator. She attended Maine College of Art in Portland Maine, and is a graduate of Bard College, where she received a scholarship to the Lacoste School of the Arts in France. She has been living in the Hudson Valley for nearly two decades, including a Residency at the Byrdcliffe Art Colony from 2004-08. She has taught classes and workshops at the Truro Arts Center at Castle Hill, Provincetown Art Association and Museum, the Woodstock School of Art, the Nantucket Artists Association, and Lubin House: Syracuse University. Jenny has been exhibiting for many years nationally and regionally including, Tria Gallery, Manhattan, NY; Hidell Brooks Gallery in Charlotte, North Carolina, and the Carrie Haddad, Hudson, NY.